Title: Communications Manager
Location: Los Angeles, CA
The Office of LAUSD Board Member Jackie Goldberg is seeking a dynamic, resourceful Communications Manager with a strong commitment to social justice to manage all aspects of the communications work in our office.
From her time as student leader in the Free Speech Movement to her work as a classroom teacher in Compton—and through her leadership on the LAUSD School Board, the Los Angeles City Council, and in the California State Assembly—Jackie Goldberg has been a dedicated champion of quality public education and working families her entire adult life. Jackie now serves as the LAUSD Board of Education representative for Board District 5, which covers Northeast L.A. from East Hollywood to Highland Park and extends down through El Sereno and City Terrace to include much of Southeast L.A. (“SELA”) from Vernon to South Gate and also part of South LA.
Jackie is dedicated to using her position on the Board, her experience as a state legislator, and her contacts in Sacramento to increase funding for public education state-wide. Jackie is also a firm believer in the success and promise of community schools, and she consistently advocates to increase funding to expand the number of community schools in the District. Finally, Jackie believes education should not focus primarily on test scores, and she is working to make schools places where students want to be. This includes making sure that schools celebrate and embrace students’ identities and deliver culturally relevant lessons that honor student differences and individual aspirations.
The Board District 5 team is made up of five members under the supervision of a Chief of Staff—all supporting Jackie in various aspects of her work on the Board of Education and representing the students, parents, staff, and communities of Board District 5. The Communications Manager work in close collaboration with the entire team to communicate the office’s initiatives and accomplishments to constituents as well as to engage with constituents to inform the office’s work and objectives.
- Develop a proactive communications strategy in collaboration with Jackie and the Chief of Staff to effectively communicate Jackie’s work in Board District 5 and all of LAUSD, as well as the impact of her policy agenda
- Develop and share compelling narratives about our schools to a wide audience
- Track news trends in Board District 5, LAUSD, California, and nationally related to education and be prepared to share assessments with the office and advise Jackie on how her positions fit into larger media context
- Work with policy team to explain important progress and context about LAUSD
- Create and send out a regular Board District 5 newsletter featuring updates from the Board, news and events from Board District 5 schools, and resources for constituents
- Manage Jackie’s social media accounts
- Manage and update the Board District 5 website, including developing blog posts and other content
- Develop talking points and/or speeches for events and meetings that Jackie will attend
- Draft recorded voice message scripts that Jackie uses to regularly communicate with constituents
- Set up and run virtual Zoom town halls with panelists, language interpretation, and large audiences
- Handle media relations, including drafting press releases and scheduling interview, in consultation with Chief of Staff
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Persuasive communication skills on social media and traditional constituent communication platforms
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and stay adaptable
- Excellent organizational skills
- Working knowledge of design/layout and e-newsletter platforms
- Bachelor’s degree in education, government, communications, or relevant field
- 3+ years of professional work experience
- Experience using communications skills in prior role(s)
- Experience managing a WordPress website
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Strong written and oral Spanish skills
Please submit a resume, a cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com with the subject: Communications Manager Position.
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include generous health, dental, and vision plans.
Open until filled.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and/or veteran status.